POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scene Optimization : Re: Scene Optimization Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scene Optimization
From: Alain
Date: 11 May 2006 21:57:19
Message: <4463eb7f$1@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 11/05/2006 15:21:
> Greetings.
>
> What tricks, rules and hints do you know to optimize a complex or any other)
> scene in order to prevent unneccessary slowing down of the rendering?
>
> In fact, I have a complex scene in which I have a union (of cylinders and
> sphere) being inside a big cylinder (which I made of a difference of a big
> with a small cylinder or through an intersection with a big cylinder).
> However, that slows down so much.
>
> Let me show you the part of my scene which seems to slows down.
>
> Sven

When most of the elements of an union share the same texture(s), it's better to assign
that texture
to the union instead of each element. This will save memory and can save some time. In
your case,
you can assign Blau and InnenAufbaut to the whole thing as it looks like the ones that
are used the
most. Saving memory can prevent the use of the swap file, thus providing dramatic
speed improvement.

You use loops to create unions of 100's to 1000's objects, spliting those to only
contain objects
that use a common texture can help. Use several similar loops, one for each texture
familys. Don't
forget to reinitialize the random streams.

Using layered textures increase rendering time, look if you can create single layer
textures to
replace the layered ones.

--
Alain
If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?